Thursday, May 7, 2015

To Grandmother's House We Go

Hello again!

And greetings from the UK! It's a lovely summer's day in England...aka rain, rain and rain.

Quick flight recap: Overall, solid trip. We flew Delta from SFO to Atlanta, 3 hour layover in Atlanta, and then Virgin Atlantic from Atlanta to Manchester, UK. The first leg of the trip to Atlanta was a bit rough for me - Nick and I went to bed at 2 am and I think the lack of sleep and getting up early messed with our stomachs; I don't normally get motion sickness but there were several times where I had to grab the bag and breathe deeply. Nick knocked out for most of it (lucky duck!). I must say I was pleasantly surprised by Delta (I don't usually fly this airline) - definitely much better than United and American.  I really enjoyed their safety video (see below) ... definitely a lot more entertaining than the usual ones.

But Virgin Atlantic was AMAZING! See the photos below. Lots of entertainment option ( a lot of movies that are still showing at the theatres), good service, and decent food (vs. other airlines).

Don't get these little bags anymore...at least not in economy class!

Anyways, back to Stone! We arrived at 8 am local time and waited for our dad's friend, Dave to pick us up. He had some traffic coming up to the airport, so in the meantime I had a hot chocolate.
This hot cocoa helped prevent a wave of hangry (hungry + angry after traveling 24+ hrs) 
We arrived at Grannie's and she was happy to see us both. Not much has changed in her little house except I swear that every time I come, she has a new appliance or the latest gadget. The following day she was retiring her 40 year old deep freezer (!) and getting a new one that has drawers.

Nick and I tried very very hard not to sleep, I clearly failed part way through the day...he caught both my Grannie and I taking an afternoon nap.
Like grandmother, like granddaughter
We also took a few photos of her garden, it's looking beautiful! Look at all those tulips and daffodils...wish my thumb was this green!
Daffodils galore...love the blue and yellow!




We had an early supper of fish and chips from the local fish and chip shop down the road. The batter was flaky and crisp...mmm! Something tells me this was the first time the owner was photographed in action haha.
Stone Fish and Chip Shop!

See how flaky the fish is? And the chips were heavenly! 

Onto Thursday, we woke up feeling much more energized and decided to go for a walk on "The Stone Plot" aka the local field. Ran into some very friendly cows - so nice to see them walking around with lots of space to roam.

photo credit: Nicholas & his mad photography skills!

"Hello dawling!"

A lovely summer's day in England!
Only in Stone...

What a classy looking front door. 

The neighborhood kitty...napping on the wheely bin! 
I couldn't resist...although he doesn't look too happy to see me


Off to the charity shops on the high street! Stay tuned. 

1 comment:

  1. Grannie's garden looks "lovely" and the Fish & Chips made my mouth water. The photos on "the plot" were great, I walked over there many times about 50+ years ago!!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Daddy X

    ReplyDelete