Friday, May 8, 2015

The (Not So) Secret Gardens at Trentham Estates

Allo duck!*
*Note: The charming people of Staffordshire refer to eachother as "duck" (for adults) or "ducky" (for children). It's a friendly greeting - not uncommon to pay for your groceries followed by a "see you Duck!" 

Given that the British spring is quite temperamental, Nick and I took full advantage of the approximately 4 hours of sun we had this morning by visiting Trentham Gardens . Trentham Gardens look like old fashioned Italian gardens, and are part of a large English landscape park on the Trentham Estate. Before we jump into garden photos, let me share with you our delicious Trentham Breakfast we had...very traditional no? Baked beans, toast, sausage, bacon, tomato, scrambled eggs, sauteed mushrooms, and hashbrowns (minus black pudding...not my personal favorite).
Traditional British Breakfast...which was quickly devoured by the two of us and definitely fueled our morning! 
With full bellies and camera ready, we walked down to the gardens to admire the flowers and beautifully manicured lawns  - we struggle just to keep our own plants alive! But isn't it gorgeous? Prepare for many flower photos my friends! 

The main fountain. I spy with my little eye a patch of blue sky!

The stunning tulips. Photo Credit; Nick

My favorite tulips of all..the yellow ones! i could have just laid out a picnic blanket, grabbed a book and soaked up the sun all day. 

Photo credit; moi! Not bad given it was my first time using Nick's camera...although I wish i'd picked a nicer tulip! 

Thank goodness for this coat which I bought at a charity shop in the high street the other day. My California jacket didn't keep me warm enough so I gave in (not that difficult for me) and bought a British one instead and it kept me cozy all morning. I kept saying how happy I was with the coat...Nick knows that if I'm hungry and/or cold (worse if it's both), that makes for a very unhappy camper. 

Isn't this a great picture of Nick? He's normally taking pictures of me and/or the landscape so thought it would be good to get one of him for a change!

Nick caught this photo of me ooh-ing and aah-ing over these gorgeous blossoms. 

The only photo we could get of the two of us. 

See the clouds coming in? This is when our gorgeous blue skies went away ;-(

At the Japanese British gardens

Cute swan came by to say hello. It was very comfortable around people and didn't mind us taking some photos of it. 

Nick really liked these duckies! 

Statue in the gardens.
We continued walking around the lake and it started to mist again (typical summer's day). It was quite a walk though! So halfway through we stopped for a cup of tea (me) and a 99er for Nick ( at 11 am). It wouldn't be a Nick vacation if he couldn't have his ice cream in the morning, now would it ?  ;-) He's glaring at me as I write this... haha!
Flake 99 or 99er ! sooo good!
Off to enjoy leftover fish and chips for dinner. Perhaps we'll watch Sound of Music or My Fair Lady as a movie tonight with grannie...

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! I love that you are enjoying the gardens and good food. Please have a flake for me and soak up all that British sun! The photos are amazing and I think Nick and I would get along with those ducks, don't you agree?

    ReplyDelete