Sunday, May 10, 2015

Bridgnorth

Hello friends! 

On Saturday, Nick and I went with our friends Ken and Carol to visit Bridgnorth, a quaint little town on a hill near Shropshire (about an hour away from my grannie's). We had never been before and so glad Ken and Carol surprised us with such a lovely day trip!

We parked the car, and walked up the (many) steps to high town to get some good views. We later learned that the steps were built for donkeys since they were the only way to get goods up to high town!

The picturesque town of Bridgnorth. "High Town" is on the left side of the river and "Low Town" on the left. 
View of "High Town"

After getting our bearings, we decided to ride England's shortest yet steepest funicular railway, the Cliff Railway. I've ridden similar railways but my I was impressed with this one. It has been in operation for over 100 years , linking low town with high town.
Nick took this one - excellent view of the railway car and low town. 

From left to right: Carol, Ken and myself ready for the ride up to high town. Yipee!!
Up we go! Look at that beautiful moss growing up on the side.

We were feeling a bit peckish after all the walking, so Ken suggested we have tea at the Winding House Tea Room located in the terminal of high town. It was a terrific choice! Ken had coffee cake, Carol had carrot cake, and Nick and I picked the cherry scones (to each his/her own) since when it comes to sweets, its hard for us to share.

Down we go for tea...can you tell I'm excited for tea and scones?
Delicious home baked cherry scone with clotted cream, locally made raspberry jam, and Darjeeling tea (apparently the champagne of teas!)

Now that was a tea to remember! Terrific service and lovely food. And when they brought out the menu, they had an ENTIRE page devoted to different kinds of tea (lots of loose leaf choices as well). Let's just say I was in tea heaven :) 

A view of one of the tables in the tea room overlooking the castle hill railway car. Photographer: yours truly! 

After refueling, we explored high town and browsed the many darling shops. I really don't think adorable describes this place enough - I felt as though someone had plopped me into the middle of a medieval English town. What's even nicer is that given its location, there hasn't been a lot of redevelopment, so the cobble stone streets and unique architecture are still here. 
Carol and I admiring the darling little shops - we enjoyed the retail therapy and catch-up ;)

While Carol and I browsed the shops, the boys found another way of entertaining themselves...indulging in some delicious ice cream! I believe the saying is "no vacation is complete without ice cream". 
The boys enjoying their ice cream at Bridgnorth

Nick captured this beautiful alley way in Bridgnorth. 
At this point, Nick essentially lost his camera. I just took it and started going wild taking photos of different things. In particular, I've developed a slight photographic obsession with colorful doors. Aren't these darling?! I call these the British painted ladies...like the painted ladies from San Francisco, just smaller (very British!). 

The British Painted Ladies. Look at the colors ! And the little sign...just charming, so so charming!
I love the contrast of the pink and blue doors (see below), and the little pots in the center. Doesn't this make you want to live here?! I know I was ready to hire a Uhaul truck and make this my getaway English cottage. 
Probably one of my favorite shots I've taken so far. 

On second thoughts, this would be my getaway cottage. Yellow is my favorite color :) 

Found this in one of the local markets. Don't ask why I laughed out loud when I read it...and contemplated buying it. ;-) 

After a terrific day trip, we headed back to the car and stopped once more to see the steam train. What a beauty it was! I'm so glad that there are volunteers that spend their time, money and resources on preserving such a beautiful piece of history. 

One of Britain's last functioning steam trains. Reminded us of the Hogwarts Express! 



Nick took this gorgeous shot on our way back from Bridgnorth. I think it captures the beauty of the English countryside, don't you? 

1 comment:

  1. We are both so pleased that you enjoyed your visit to Bridgnorth. I know that we did. We both fell in love with it the very first time we visited in March this year and we hoped you would feel the same :-) xx Enjoy London on Monday xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete